SOM reset issue

Moderators: Oren.R, Aviad.H

marco.ferretti

SOM reset issue

Postby marco.ferretti » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:47 am

HW: VAR-SOM-MX6 V2.x (with label "QC7")
Freescale Yocto Jethro
Linux version 4.1.15-6QP+gfd15e3b (hmibox@hmibox-virtual-machine) (gcc version 5.2.0 (GCC) ) #2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 16 18:26:14 CET 2017
CPU info in attached

Hello,
we noticed a SOM full reset in case of usage of USB Mouse on a application.
In particular we launch the Demo application and start moving and click left button of the mouse, after some seconds / minutes the SOM reset and restart from boot condition.
The same problem can be reproduced using different mouse hw device o using "User Input Device"

We use the VAR-SOM-MX6 since two year and this is the first time, we notice this behavior.
We tested the same carrier board with the same SD card (root file system and kernel are mounted on it) using an older SOM (with label "QC4) and we can't reproduce the same issue.

We tested other "QC7" SOM and we have encountered the same problem an all, but not on other "Qc4" SOM.
What are the changes made on these "QC7" boards ? The issue seems related on that.

Regards,
Marco.
Attachments
SOM_cpuInfo.txt
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 298 times

Aviad.H

Re: SOM reset issue

Postby Aviad.H » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:59 am

Hi,
Can you please attach full boot log of both SOMs, working and non working ones?
What SD card image are you using? can you test with SD card V70 and report?
V70 can be downloaded from here: ftp://customerv:Variscite1@ftp.variscit ... 6/Software
Aviad

marco.ferretti

Postby marco.ferretti » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi,

attached the two log:

- VAR-SOM-MX6_QC7_FAIL.txt (it' s the SOM that perform a reset)
- VAR-SOM-MX6_QC4_OK.txt (it's the SOM that works)

Marco.
Attachments
VAR-SOM-MX6_QC7_FAIL.txt
(22.21 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
VAR-SOM-MX6_QC4_OK.txt
(22.37 KiB) Downloaded 321 times

Aviad.H

Postby Aviad.H » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:03 am

Hi,
I've tested this same SOM P/N: VSM-MX6-H01 using v70 SD card image plugging a USB mouse to all 3 HOST ports in VAR-DVK-MX6 as well as to OTG port via adaptor. I could not reproduce the reset issue that you experience. Are you trying to openi specific application?
Can you test this with our v70 SD card image and report?
Aviad

marco.ferretti

Postby marco.ferretti » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:36 am

I can reproduce the reset using the evtest application and moving the mouse:

evtest /dev/input/event0

I can't test your v70 SD card image on my board because my SD card reader is mapped on a different PIN on the SOM, so u.boot can't see the "card detection" PIN.
Any idea in order to avoid this issue and try to test the board with your v70 image ?

Aviad.H

Postby Aviad.H » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi,
Can you first test the SOM on variscite EVK and v70?
if you do not have one, can you probe the 3.3V SOM input voltage and check if there is a voltage dip when reset occurs?
Aviad

marco.ferretti

Postby marco.ferretti » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:40 am

I verified the 3.3V SOM INPUT and there aren't voltage dip when reset occurs.
I performed some tests with different configurations, but I can reproduce sistematically the issue only with one carrier that integrate your "QC7" SOM. The same carrier with "QC4" SOM doesn't reset, and different carriers with "QC7" SOM or "QC4" SOM don't reset.

At the end, seems that the reset conditio occurs only with one specific carrier using your "QC7" SOM.

Aviad.H

Postby Aviad.H » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:15 am

Hi,
The 2 P/N differ in HW configuration in terms of assembly option (Audio Codec, WiFi)
There is no HW difference between the 2 SOMs in which can explain this issue, also as you stated it happens on a specific carrier which is suspicious.
If you wish, you can send us this carrier board with the failed SOM and we will inspect it since on our EVK I cannot reproduce it.
you can log to support@variscite.com and open a ticket stating this issue.
Aviad

Return to “Hardware”